Agony Shorthand


Wednesday, May 28, 2003
A PLEA FOR RAW AND AGGRESSIVE ROCK & ROLL NOISE....Speaking of the old-school 1990s garage punk heyday bands (see review below of related newcomers RIGHT ON), I have to say I’ve been well out of the garage punk rock loop for at least 5-6 years now. See, back in my day, around 1989-1995-ish, the top picks in this horse race were the ones that most everyone’s citing as big influences now: GORIES, NIGHT KINGS, SUPERCHARGER, OBLIVIANS, TEENGENERATE, CHEATER SLICKS and the like. Back then you had a torrent of raw and blistering 45s from these players + others with less staying power like JOHNNY HASH, FIREWORKS, MOTARDS, and so on. Once every band of this ilk started speeding up their sound, aping whatever was out on Rip Off & therefore gaining the embrace of Maximum Rock and Roll, well, I sort of fell off the wagon. I know there are still some hotshit bands now – HUNCHES, A-FRAMES, DAN MELCHIOR’S BROKE REVIEW, RIGHT ON and others – and some of them aren’t even on In The Red! So help me please: what are their names? Who can aspire to the heights scaled by the Gories and the Night Kings over a decade ago? Where should my entertainment dollar be next spent? Your comments are most appreciated!