Agony Shorthand


Friday, May 07, 2004
WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS ANOTHER ONE OF MY LISTS…..



Is there a single worldwide city that could deservedly call itself the kingpin rock and roll town of all time? The place where rock and roll animals sprout like seedlings and multiply like jackrabbits? Lord knows Cleveland has tried; London and New York have been put forward by many, and some fops might stake their claims on Tokyo, Chicago or Sao Paolo. I could make an argument to this ludicrous question that settles upon LOS ANGELES as the single best city for rock music anytime, anywhere. I’m not sure if I really believe it, but clanging around my head is this evidence – that’s right, Los Angeles’ TOP 20 LP/CD RECORDS OF ALL TIME. Many are from the fertile 1977-1982 crescent, a time when I just know that LA ruled the roost:

1. FLESH EATERS : “A Minute To Pray, A Second To Die”
2. THE DREAM SYNDICATE : “The Days Of Wine and Roses”
3. GERMS : “G.I.”
4. GUN CLUB : “Fire of Love”
5. BLACK FLAG : “Damaged”
6. CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND : “Trout Mask Replica”
7. FLESH EATERS : “Forever Came Today”
8. RED CROSS/KROSS : “Born Innocent”
9. NEIL YOUNG : “Tonight’s The Night”
10. CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & THE MAGIC BAND : “Safe As Milk”
11. MINUTEMEN : “Double Nickels on the Dime”
12. FLESH EATERS : “Hard Road To Follow”
13. LOVE : “Forever Changes”
14. NEIL YOUNG : “On The Beach”
15. CLAW HAMMER : “Claw Hammer”
16. THE SEEDS : “The Seeds”
17. CIRCLE JERKS : “Group Sex”
18. LAZY COWGIRLS : “Tapping The Source”
19. NEIL YOUNG : “Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere”

Wait, where’s the 20th? Somehow I feel the need to capture the Dangerhouse Records 45s (BAGS, WEIRDOS, DILS etc.), which have in fact been collected on two fantastic LP compilations, “The Dangerhouse Collection” and “Give Me A Little Pain – Dangerhouse Vol. 2” (as well as a number of bootlegs). Those two post-scene comps would likely both slot into the Top 3 if I didn’t feel like they somewhat pushed the definition of an “album” a bit. But what do I know. I’ve never lived in LA proper. What am I missing from this list?