Agony Shorthand


Friday, July 09, 2004
THE REIGNING SOUND : “TOO MUCH GUITAR” CD.....



Nothing to nitpick on here, fun as that can be – this is just a full-stop, VERY GOOD straight-up rock and roll record by ex-OBLIVIAN Memphis Greg and a couple of talented fellow travelers. I’ve been warming to their multifaceted garage stylings in recent weeks and it’s all topped off by this fine second platter, a disc that is solid up & down the fourteen-track lineup. This is a lineup that you stealthily head to the world series with – not stacked up with the big boppers, just a bunch of .275-hitting grinders. And when I say multifaceted, I mean you get 60s teen rock anthem sounds (“Your Love is a Fine Thing”), you get harder-edged & croaking punkers like the hot opener “We Repel Each Other” and “You Got Me Hummin’” and some partytime sock hop boogie in the mix to boot. And even a couple of “tear in my beer” near-weepers, too. It won’t change any unrocked worlds but it’s as good a record I’ve heard in 2004 thus far, and has me almost sold to check them out in a couple of weeks as they warm the stage for Swedish chart-topping guilty pleasures the SAHARA HOTNIGHTS and something called The Hives. I’ll be the one stagediving and fistfightin’ – see you there.