Agony Shorthand


Friday, June 23, 2006
PISSED JEANS : “DON’T NEED SMOKE TO MAKE MYSELF DISAPPEAR / LOVE CLOWN” 45......

Once we got on board with these guys we were on, and this new 45 on Sub Pop – their new label – gives us no reason whatsoever to disembark. “Don’t Need To Smoke…” harkens back to pummeling “My War”-era BLACK FLAG moving their “life is pain, I want to be insane” BS along an earthworm FLIPPER bassline before it just sorta takes off and screams for the rest of the song at a mid-level ramalama tempo. I say ramalama, my friends, because I get this weird sense of déjà vu when I listen to the ‘Jeans of watching the Laughing Hyenas kicking out the MC5’s “I Want You Right Now” circa 1990 or so, so intense is their delivery. I don’t usually cotton to the brutal, sweaty, urrrrrgggghhhhrrrrrroowwwww sounds of bands like these, but man, these guys smoke. “Love Clown” is fast and just as heavy, more like DRUNKS WITH GUNS covering the FLESH EATERS’ “Hand of Glory” with cocaine in the brain. Hey, you think the band appreciates unimaginative comparisons such as those I’m making? Man, I sure would, and yeah, they’re that good. Keep the hits coming, Jeans!